Sunday 22 November 2009

Annus Maximus

It has been an amazing year for more reasons than one, but for me two incredible things have happened:

1) My wife became pregnant and we are to be parents for the first time.

2) I turned 50 just this week - here in November 2009.

I could bore you with the long details - suffice to say we have been married for over 14 years and we have tried just about every method in the book and could have bought a nice flat with the money we have spent on IVF treatments but just when we were considering new options, a miracle occurred and my wife became pregnant at the age of 43 in June this year - naturally.

The startling reality took a long while to hit home. I am old, fat, unfit and in precarious employment, at an age where things could go horribly wrong. We are 6 and a half months into the term and only now have I really realised that things are going to be very, very different.

First up, we love kids - adore them. We have 4 nephews we think are superb, two nieces we don't see much of but love and two new nieces who are twins who are the most adorable forms of life you can kind find - and that includes cute kittens. And we have two godchildren who consider us family - in fact, I treasure the card for my 50th from my goddaughter who called me the 'Best Uncle in the World'. I should have her stuffed and put in reception.

So this child will be loved - we are two people who have always wanted our own child and more. It's just that now that I am 50, it is very different. I am going to be the oldest dad in the playground, unless I go to LA where it's Michael Douglas. Until a year or so ago, I was super fit and now I have gone to seed. I may look youngish but I am beginning to feel my age.

But the excitement of being a dad is kicking in. This blog is about a guy and his wife who are finding life is about to change very drastically. And guess what? I am scared.

I am going to be a geriatric dad. When my child is 18, I will be 68 - then he or she is 30, I will be 80. The good news, if I have any money left, is at least they will get it earlier than their peers. The bad news is that they will won't be able to invite their dad to the Parents vs. Pupils rugby, hockey, netball or cricket match as I will probably have a zimmer frame - and they aren't cool.

So read along with my thoughts, hopes, fears and attempts to be younger and cooler.

1 comment: