Monday 24 January 2011

First Christmas

This year was my son's first Christmas. The build up was interesting as a branch of JoJo Maman Bebe suddenly opened in St Albans, almost at the entrance to the car park we use - I fear it was no coincidence considering the amount we have bought from this excellent chain. It makes me wonder whether real estate by that car park is going to sky rocket as various baby outlets vie for a share of my wife's purse. I must look up who the landlord is and see if I can invest and get some money back.

Christmas was all the more special this year. We got the decorations down and made up the tree and Scott's eyes were a joy as he looked at the glowing lights, tinsel and baubles. We would sit and night and I would tell him stories by the tree and I swear he seemed to understand every word although my wife rightfully puts it down to the prompts I give him. He's not really a boy genius like most dads think their little boys at this age.

Christmas is special in our house anyway as the two dogs, border collies, love opening presents and when they see the tree go up, they know what's happening. This heightened the atmosphere and when Christmas day came, little boy and dogs had a wail of a time opening presents. There weren't many Christmas Carols played on TV or radio this year so we played a CD on Christmas morning and sang along to the music with the words in a book and my wife and I cried our eyes out for no reason. I don't think Scott registered anything but it didn't matter.

We always spend the day at my wife's parents and Scott's twin cousins were there and so we had a lovely time. Having a large family helps in all sorts of ways but its the sense of belonging and kin that our little boy has seems to bring him alive whenever he sees a relative. It's amazing, but we said of my wife's sister's kids too, children seem to know someone is a blood relative instinctively and the love is immediate, deep and given with no strings attached.

We have a toy mountain to deal with after Christmas Day and subsequent visits to relatives. The little one has walkers, the Chicco one that makes him wander around like a Dalek, a little wooden pushcart with blocks in it, a playpen like a prison cell, several wooden block sets for inserting shapes in holes but still his best toys are our ceramic chess set and metal coaster set which have been there since time immemorial. In fact, he seemed to get more fun out of the paper on most presents.

But this year was very special. My wife and I have waited a long time for this special moment and this was as much our moment as his. To see his little face on Christmas Day wondering at presents, laughing with family, eating turkey and sprouts with gusto and playing with anything not nailed down was hard to describe.

It was indeed the Most Wonderful Time.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment