Wednesday 19 January 2011

Dad For a Day

For the next few weeks, while I am waiting for a new contract to begin, I will be the exclusive parent on each Wednesday, maybe a few more days per week. While it is a great bonding time with wee Scott, I have succumbed to impulse buying.

You see, today is a typical example. I dropped my wife off at the station and have spent the rest of the day in St Albans. Immediately, while ambling around town, I have bought a new set of golf irons, having only the previous Wednesday bought two hybrid woods. In two weeks I have spent around £250 on a hobby I play no more than half a dozen times a year on average.

And they say women waste money. Note, I said 'They say'. I certainly wouldn't say such a thing. No.

There followed lunch and little Scott was superb eating bread, fishcake, haricot beans and peas, followed by a good slug of milk. He napped this morning for no more than 30 minutes and then again he has slept from around 2.15 until now (3.45) which is good for him. Mind you, considering he was up three times in the night, I'm not surprised.

As he slept, on impulse, I went and had my eyes tested and bought two pairs of reading glasses. Supposedly, it was one pair and the other free at £99 but somehow, with the eye test and assorted 'value added extras' which I have no idea about, it came to £144.

So my experience of exclusive parenting so far has been nearly £400 in impulse purchases plus two lunches.

Have I enjoyed it? Too right, I have. Scott is a pleasure to be with and even in his most difficult moments, usually at bedtime, he is a never far from being totally endearing. In fact, he eats well and has a sunny disposition most of the time.

The best part about the Wednesdays and others days so far is the time to bond. My job has meant that I have travelled a great deal over the last year and so I have spent many nights away as well as those when I leave too early and get home too late to get a great deal of interaction. These parenting days have been superb for balancing that to some small extent and Scott and I have become the best of pals as well as father and son. Well as much as you can do so with an 11 month old.

The other thing is that the wee man is a little babe magnet. I don't know how many times ladies of all ages have stopped and talked to me while he has flirted outrageously. I also get a strange kindred spirit with the mums around as we struggle through the crowded market streets, soothe crying babies or administer emergency bottles. I am a long way from being accepted by such mums but I feel I'm beginning to earn my spurs.

Here's a point for all dads who are in my situation for either short or long periods. What's with the poor changing accommodation for dads? Very few restaurants have good changing facilities anyway but many cater for mothers only and so the facilities are in the 'Ladies' and there are none in the 'Mens'. Fortunately, I can highly recommend Carluccio's and Loch Fyne's as good exceptions to that observation.

So back home to walk the dogs with Scott in the BabyBjorn (a must for any parent, brilliant device)' then put the supper on before picking mum up from the station.

It may be just one day a week for now but being the only parent for the day gives a great taste for just how incredibly demanding a Mum's job really is while giving maximum bonding time. I can't recommend it enough on both counts.

If only I could curb the darn impulse buying.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment