Friday 12 February 2010

T Minus 5 Days And Counting

Only 5 more sleeps before the big day and baby is kicking up a royal fuss inside mum's tummy. We may not actually last that long at this rate.

Today we have a busy day ahead - a family lunch, then I get to watch the rugby (come on Wales!) and then we are off out for a curry with two couples from our NCT class, including Jess and Allen who were actually due to have produced their baby last Sunday. One of the things we learned was that sex and curry can help bring on labour so I think I can see a strategy here with Valentine's Day tomorrow. It will be great to catch up with them all.

Yesterday, one of my wife's colleagues arrived with a ton of baby things for us. A superb high-chair, a Bumbo rubber seat, a travel cot, a sling, a vibrating chair amongst other things - he couldn't get the playpen in his car. He has already brought us a spare pram and car seat. We were both overwhelmed with their generosity and while it has been a common theme this pregnancy, the thought of this couple in particular has been quite amazing. We feel very humble and lucky to have such great friends.

I finish work on Monday as does my wife - she has worked quite hard lately but she is that sort of person. The earlier part of the pregnancy - the critical time - she worked a good deal less and this has been a distinct advantage of having your own business. The downside is that if either of us don't work, we don't earn and she does not get any statutory benefits like normal employees. So I shall be taking 3 weeks off and, as luck has it, I will start a new contract for an longer period than usual on 8 March - from that point of view I could not be luckier. But the downside is that I will be doing a fair bit of international travel - the upside is that I will not be commuting 120 miles there and back to work each day and will be able to work from home on a regular basis when not abroad. On balance, I think I am better off.

Tomorrow, I will be assembling the cot. I have already burnt the manual as to refer to it would be cheating and pointless. If you are going to make a mess of things, better you do it so badly and without instructions so that you can really work up a foul temper, then throw what tools I have around the garden, swear profusely and storm off in a huff. Usually, my father-in-law will then help and he would do the same before botching the job. Between us we will build a cot of dubious quality and it will hardly be able to hold baby in for 5 minutes let alone a night's sleep.

I have re-tested the baby monitor and sent a few messages over the system to frighten the dogs and it works well, although we will have to keep it out of reach of the dogs as they have a tendency to lick the monitor when they hear a voice. I am sure that could disrupt reception over time. I am busy putting all the cameras on charge so that all those precious early moments are captured in full intensity in order to bore people with endless photos and films at a later date. I may have to buy an iPhone at this rate to make sure I capture every opportunity to get baby's mug in front of anybody, particularly strangers in shopping queues, airports or public toilets.

The excitement is building and I am carefully going over launch plans. What have we missed? There must be something.

No comments:

Post a Comment