Friday 1 January 2010

Swine Flu Vaccination - Update

On 23 December, I published a post on the swine flu vaccination and it's effects during pregnancy. I prefaced the article by saying I wasn't a doctor but I also referenced an eminent virologist in the article also.

Now I need to clear something up - the Baxter flu vaccine (celvapan) does not work to 'suppress' the immune system as I indicated. In fact, that is the reason why it is better for pregnant ladies. But it is the right one for pregnant women to take.

My mistake - apologies.

One helpful addition - our midwife told us this week that the second and third trimesters are when the pregnant mum is most vulnerable to the effects of swine flu and therefore the vaccination is most required at that time.

See also official NHS advice for pregnant ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment