Sunday 20 December 2009

The Kick Inside

The kick inside. Not the excellent old album by Kate Bush, who I used to fancy when I was a teenager, but the brutal assaults of our growing baby on my wife's insides.

Is this normal?

Last night, we lay watching her tummy and it was like seeing one of those cartoons where the characters are fighting in a sack. Whole shapes of legs and arms were bulging from the service and we even balanced the TV remote control on the top, several times it was booted clear off. While it looks quite funny, it takes several minutes of stroking her tummy and soothing murmurs to the baby within to calm it down. That's fine while we are watching the film 'Eagle Eye' (excellent film starring the unlikely named actor, Shia LaBoeuf, which reminds of the name Pepe La Pew for some odd reason) but in the small hours of the night, it keeps my wife awake.

It may not have helped that we had a curry on Friday night or that my wife has a craving for pickles any time of day or night - maybe the poor brute is was suffering the after effects of Dhansak - I know I do. But the baby is now booting ever more vigorously, more regularly and it's getting more and more like a scene out of 'Alien' inside my wife's tummy.

Is the mite trying to get out?

We have consulted online information and our small library of books and it all appears normal for a baby to kick. However, it says nothing about the ability of a growing baby to hoof a ball placed on the mother's tummy through two large sticks and then somersault at the feat. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but I kid you not, this little one has the boot power of a decent fly half.

Is the little thing trying to tell us something? Is he or she ready to make an appearance?

Of course, that is our concern, that this may be a rather uncomfortable lead up to an early birth. My wife is visiting the mid-wife on Tuesday and this will be the sole topic of discussion, I can assure you. Like any man at Christmas time with a wife 30+ weeks pregnant visiting the mid-wife, I will be on a golf course.

What?

No comments:

Post a Comment